The Department of State (DOS) released the monthly Visa Bulletin and below is a summary of green card Final Action Dates and Dates For Filing dates for employment-based immigrant visa categories for the month of May.
PLEASE NOTE: Per a new USCIS policy, a week after the Department of State (DOS) issues its monthly Visa Bulletin indicating immigrant visa availability for the next month, the USCIS will make its own separate determination on green card availability. If green cards are available for a certain category, the USCIS will post its own notice on its website at: www.uscis.gov/visabulletininfo to alert immigrants applying in those categories with more availability, that they may use the Dates for Filing chart and not the Final Action Date chart. Thus immigrants may no longer rely on the DOS Visa Bulletin, but must wait one week after its publication and then look to the USCIS to see whether a green card is available to them.
Green Card "Dates for Filing" Availability Dates
Individuals with priority dates prior to the dates listed in the chart below are eligible to file their green card applications during the month of May.
All ChargeabilityAreas ExceptThose Listed
Certain Religious Workers
5thNon-RegionalCenter(C5 and T5)
5thRegionalCenter(I5 and R5)
Green Card Approval "Final Action Dates"
Individuals with priority dates prior to the dates listed in the chart below have a green card available to them during the month of May, therefore, the US government may take final action on their case.
All Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed
CHINA - mainland born
· The EB-2 China category has stalled at September 1, 2012.
· The EB-2 India category has advanced several weeks from November 8, 2008 to November 22, 2008.
· The EB-3 World and Mexico categories have stalled at February 15, 2016.
· The EB-3 China category has stalled at August 15, 2013.
· The EB-3 India category advances several weeks from August 8, 2004 to September 1, 2004.
· The EB-3 Philippines category advances several months from May 1, 2008 to August 8, 2008.
· The EB-5 China advances a few days from February 1, 2014 to February 8, 2014.
· Cap on nationals from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras in the following categories: EB-3, Other Workers, EB-4 and Certain Religious Workers.
Month-to-month availability of immigrant visas varies and depends on many factors. The entire Visa Bulletin can be viewed at: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin/2016/visa-bulletin-for-may-2016.html