Employers know that immigration rules and regulations are ever-changing and increasingly aggressive audits and investigations by the Department of Labor (DOL) and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) are becoming more common. Our corporate and individual clients are assured by Masuda Funai's 80-year history as comprehensive legal counsel in all aspects of immigration law. In fact, we are among the larger immigration practices in the Midwest, annually representing nearly 300 corporate employers from diverse global industries, including publicly traded companies, privately held corporations, educational institutions, not-for-profit organizations and individuals. Immigration Group attorneys file approximately 2,500 petitions and applications with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and DOL each year.
Our clients are employers and individuals located throughout the U.S. and from more than 40 countries, including Japan, China, India, South Korea, Pakistan, Russia, England, France, Germany, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Australia and South Africa. And our experience spans many industries, including high tech and computer consulting, electronics, machine tool manufacturing, transportation, construction and equipment, health care, banking and financial services.
Masuda Funai Immigration Group attorneys are quickly aware of changes in immigration laws and processing procedures because we work closely and regularly with government agencies, embassies, consulates and immigration offices, and we are meticulous in maintaining positive working relationships with each one. Clients are promptly informed of changes and weekly updates are easily accessible on our website.
As proactive legal counsel, our Immigration attorneys conduct periodic informative seminars and tutorials for corporate clients, educational institutions and business associations on legal issues affecting businesses operating in the U.S. – particularly of value to overseas-owned companies. Masuda Funai's Immigration practice is conveniently located in Chicago's northwest suburban area, the primary business corridor for many multinational and foreign-owned businesses. And, we staff every matter so that each case receives ‘hands on' partner attention.
Our attorneys are frequent faculty and guest speakers at law and government-sponsored seminars and trade and cultural organizations. Recent organizations include, Indiana, Illinois and Ohio State Departments of Trade, Development and Cultural Affairs, American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), National Association of Foreign Student Advisors (NAFSA), Japan Small and Medium Enterprise Corporation (JASMEC), Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Chicago (JCCC), and French-American Chamber of Commerce.
If you have any questions or would like further information about Masuda Funai's Immigration practice, please contact the Group's chair, Kathleen M. Gaber, at 847.734.8811 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RANGE OF SERVICES AND EXPERIENCE
The following are a few of the principal services provided by the Immigration Group.
Nonimmigrant Visas. The Immigration Group represents employers and individuals in obtaining, extending and renewing all types of nonimmigrant visas. The Immigration Group also advises clients in the myriad issues affecting foreign nationals living in the United Sates
Common visa categories include:
- Business and Tourist, including entering the U.S. under Visa Waiver Pilot Program (B-1/B-2 visas WB/WT Classifications)
- Treaty Traders and Investors (E-1 and E-2 visas)
- Students and Exchange Visitors (F-1 and J-1 visas)
- Specialty Occupation and Training Program Participants (H-1B and H-3 visas)
- Temporary Employment for Skilled, Unskilled and Professional Positions (H-2B visas)
- Intracompany Transferees (L-1 visas)
- Individuals of Extraordinary Ability (O-1 visas)
- Cultural Entertainers (P-3 visas)
- Religious Workers (R-1 visas)
- NAFTA Professionals (TN visas)
Immigrant Visas and Naturalization. The Immigration Group assists individuals and employers in obtaining lawful permanent resident status (commonly known as the "the green card") and helps permanent residents to become naturalized U.S. citizens, including:
- Guiding clients through the DOL's PERM process
- Assisting multinational executives and managers, individuals of extraordinary ability and outstanding professors and researchers in avoiding the PERM process
- Counseling and assisting clients on a case-by-case basis in completing the permanent residence process through either the adjustment of status procedure in the U.S. or through a U.S. consular post abroad
- Representing clients in obtaining lawful permanent resident status on the basis of family relationships and the diversity visa lottery
Corporate Record Keeping and Compliance. The Immigration Group counsels employers in record keeping and compliance matters, including:
- Counseling on the immigration effects of corporate restructuring
- Counseling clients and conducting internal audits of Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification system and the Labor Condition Application's Public Access File system to assure regulatory compliance with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) (formerly the enforcement part of the INS) and the DOL
- Representing employers during DOL and ICE audits and investigations, as well as during Social Security Administration inquiries