Masuda Funai is unique among U.S.-based law firms in providing focused legal services customized for international companies with critical business needs in the U.S., such as establishing a U.S. operation, negotiating U.S. contracts, managing U.S. employees, and asserting or defending a company's rights in the U.S. The following is a representative sample of the essential cross-border services we provide.
- Negotiating international joint ventures.
- Handling complex M&A and financing transactions.
- Site selection, due diligence, contract negotiations and real estate tax management.
- Immigration counseling.
- Counseling, educating and defending clients on sensitive employment and labor issues such as sexual harassment, discrimination, labor negotiations, and employee benefits.
- Intellectual property counseling, including copyright and trademark matters.
- Counseling clients on legal issues and regulatory complications in product manufacture, sales, distribution, and franchising.
- Advising clients of U.S. laws and regulations affecting international commerce, such as transfer pricing, dumping and antitrust.
- Assisting clients with risk management, including avoiding claims from product liability.
- Prosecuting and defending claims in international arbitrations and lawsuits.
- Handling bankruptcy and secured creditors' rights.
Many of our attorneys and staff have international backgrounds and have lived, studied or worked abroad. A number of our attorneys have spent several months abroad, working as in-house counsel for some of our international clients, and several attorneys travel frequently throughout the world to work on various projects and cases. We speak a variety of languages, including Croatian, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Ukrainian.
Since 1989, Masuda Funai has had a Visiting Foreign Attorney Program, where an attorney licensed to practice law in Japan (bengoshi) will intern with the firm for a one to two-year period. Many of these visiting attorneys have gone on to pass the New York State Bar Exam while interning with Masuda Funai. This program has facilitated an important sharing of information and insight and has been of great benefit to the firm and our clients, as well as to the visiting attorneys.
We also maintain a network of global contacts in the legal, business, accounting and consulting fields to assist us in representing our clients in other countries.